Sunday, November 02, 2008

Writer's block.


I left this blog two years ago. Don't ask me why. I do feel a little embarassed about it. I seemed to have run into a writers block; an old habit of mine. Just when things seem to be going nicely, i run out of breath, out of subjects to write about and lacking the required discipline to continue nevertheless. Let's have a look at my accomplishments so far. A rather diverse collection of subjects. No coherent view of dutch reality, which was part of what I was aiming at. So I was a little disappointed. I had hoped for more. Who was to blame? Me, myself and I; in the first place. If the writer doesn't have a coherent view he's the only one to blame. Developing something like that is not an easy mission. Despite its small size, as seen from a european scale, dutch society is complex, diverse and fractured. There are globalists and stiff-lipped calvinist provincials; both groups as dutch as can be. A blog that would matter, would have to take all of them into account. It would have to go beyond daily news, trying to make sense of the invisible undercurrent. It seems a huge task; maybe something more fitting for a novelist than for a parttime blogwriter, preoccupied with all kinds of other things. And yes, these are excuses, and in the end not all that relevant. If you want to be a blog-writer, there's really only one thing you have to do.. write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home