Saturday, April 01, 2006

Frog in the City


An amazing thing happened. Our frog is back. We already noticed last week but she's showing herself quite frequently now. I guess she's female. What other explanation could there possibly be for the big lump of frog-eggs hanging on the papyrus? All of a sudden I feel responsible for this new life. I spent my morning reading about frogs in the city. Our frog possibly is a brown frog; that's about the only subspecies not threatened with extinction. Frogs used to ubiquitous in the Netherlands, but not anymore. All of them are protected. I must say it almost makes me feel flattered. The frog is an amphiby, hundreds of millions of years old, going way back before the dawn of mankind. Something like Jurassic park in the backyard. I feel really good about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home